Thursday, January 18, 2007

Invasion of the Weevils

Warning: don't read this whilst eating.

So yesterday I went into my hall cupboard and found we have been invaded by thousands of flour weevils. It was rather strange to see what I thought were bits of dirt slowly moving. They had grown from bird seed I had stored in the cupboard and they rather rapidly spread through the area. I spent around four hours yesterday clearing out the cupboard. This involved emptying boxes, shaking out paper work, hoovering, spraying bleach (die weevils die was my mantra) and spraying insect repellent. The neighbours must of thought I'd gone crazy as I stood on the porch shaking cheque books, letters and passport photos (so much stuff in that cupboard). My cupboard is now streamlined - that basically means I binned anything of no use, and is now very clean.

I was horrified this morning to find some more on one shelf, but I have commenced attack and they are now gone. Environmental health at the council wants nothing to do with weevils. Are mice more fun? But a local pest control company will spray the area for £40. Not bad if they haven't completely gone by the weekend. Afterall, I have started a war and I am determined to win. Seeing as I'm clumsy I'd better watch out for the pest control equivalent of friendly fire - eg spraying myself in the face with RAID pest spray. I'm rather like George Bush but with more accurate sources of intelligence. And I'm better looking.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pig wot flies said...

Oh poor you. Flour weevils are horrible. I'll never forget the year we unpacked our Christmas tree decorations to find all the ones we'd made at school and nursery (from flour based dough) had been nibbled into crumbs by evil weevils. Ergh!

12:05 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

how horrific! but that last line is genius.. i may be tempted to quote you on my blog :) xx

1:09 PM  
Blogger Queerty said...

A belated Happy New Year - we met at the first tutorial for A215 in Glasgow last year (and had ME/CFS in common - remember me?) Congrats on your result!

ps. Once had pet rats and forgot about a bag of food...the evil weevils practically walked what was left of the bag out of the flat...sympathies!

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Miso Funky Market