Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Memories


Writing my last post about wedding underwear strangely brought back lots of memories for me. I remember visiting my friends house when I was 7 or 8. In the kitchen there was a Playboy calender and the models wore the lacy gear I previously described. I remember finding it distasteful, tacky and really quite naff. My Mum had lots of feminist books in the house so perhaps some of her ideas rubbed off onto me. I was similarly intrigued at my Dad's work where there were calenders of nude women in the main office. It seems crazy that this went on in a professional area, one where business meetings went on; times have certainly changed. I'm surprised Page 3 has survived Britain's (much fought for) society of equal rights. Perhaps the current affairs 'voice' they give the models (what does Leilani think of asylum seekers? what does Chelsi think about the rate of inflation, etc, etc) justifies the nudity. After all, if they are just meat why bother asking for an opinion?

I remember this friend also had a globe, a drinks cabinet and her parents had a water bed. All of which fascinated me. In hindsight, it was all so 1980s. I wonder if today they still have nude women on their kitchen walls? Or maybe it will be a buff fireman's calender. Equality opened up the door for all horrors to escape......

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We don't really live in an equal society and you come off in that post sounding rather lacking.

7:06 PM  
Blogger http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

It makes me wonder...Hmmm, what are those people into these days? Hmm. Intersting. heee. What memories from that madonna cover. I went through a phase where I would not leave my home without a mole over my lip.. I was 13. I was nutzz. Oh, I was, I still am, but I have ditched the mole.. Hee hee

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Miso Funky Market