Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Passing by....






It's been a week of highs and lows. Sadly, Lee's grandad George passed away following a short illness. It's a cliche to say it, but he was a good age - 80 and had lived a happy, healthy life. He was a content man, easily pleased and at his happiest with a cigar, some whiskey and his family around him. He was very fit up until the last few months of his life. As an ex-coalminer he was not unused to hard work and loved spending time growing vegetables in his garden. He took great pride in his garden. On meeting his granddaughter's new partner, the first thing he asked him was 'And do you cut your own grass?'.

On Saturday, I went with a large group of friends to a day spa at the Radisson Hotel in Glasgow city centre. It was great fun - we were treated like queens! After the sad news of George's passing, it was lovely to relax and be pampered. I now have a taste for the high life and hope to go back again for my birthday....

I have never been to a funeral before and could not face going to George's funeral. I felt it would bring up all those sad feelings about my Papa - and at this moment in time I'm not ready to face them. I am getting married in 4 weeks and it still makes me tearful to think my Papa will not be there. He'd have a rare old time and I know that he'd get on so well with Lee.

Instead of going to the funeral, I went back for the buffet and drinks at the social club. It's been a while since I've been to Bowhill Social Club and it's not changed very much. For readers outside UK, a brief description of a social club can be found here. Most social clubs are well known for their old fashioned decor and cheap drink. George (or Dod as he was known, Scots slang for George) would have enjoyed the after funeral toast. He loved going to Bowhill Club for a half. There was plenty of reminiscing and family gossip to catch up on. Dod's half brother Alec was rather funny, telling the story of the first time they'd met in years. They were in their 20s, working at the coal mine when Alec gave Dod a hand with some work, 'Cheers neebor,' said Dod, 'Who are you?' Dod asked. 'I'm your fucking half brother!' Alec replied. And that was that. Dod went back to work.

Here's some photos of Bowhill Club.


Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Miso Funky Market